Your Personal Brand……..Why Is It Important?
Your personal brand is important because it is what separates you from everyone else in the world and it will open up professional opportunities for you in today’s job market and the entrepreneurial landscape, as there is no room for being just another face in the crowd.
Being different gives you an advantage over the competition. You have to be more appealing to your target audience and the ONLY way you can achieve it is by creating a recognizable personal brand.
So, how do you do that?
By organizing your thoughts utilizing the following 5 steps to creating your personal brand vision. (the way you want yourself to be perceived by others and how you want to live your professional and personal life.)
“The foundation of personal branding rests on authenticity: The ability to tap into your genuine, humble, and individual human qualities from which your identity, personality, and character stem”……says Lida Citroen, Social Media Today
Step #1 – Set Your Values
- Your values are the things that drive your life.
- They’re at the core of your being and you refer to them when making decisions.
- These values define the things that are most important to the person.
- Consider the people, feelings ,and situations in life that make you most happy.
Step #2 – Prioritize Your Values
- As you go through the things that make you happy in life you’ll realize that your values aren’t all created equal.
- There will be situations in life when you’ll be faced with decisions that put your values at odds.
- The goal of building your personal brand is not just to get a better job or to grow your company.
- It’s about finding happiness with your professional life.
Step #3- Identify Your Passions
- Your passions are the things that you like doing with your time.
- A passion is something that interests you.
- Passions intrigue you and make you want to investigate.
- They make you want to get better for personally driven reasons.
- A passion is something you would do even if you weren’t being paid or even something that you would pay for yourself if you had to.
- Passions can be both personal and professional.
Step #4 – Identify Your Ideal Traits
- These are the unique aspects of your personality that help to shape the person you are.
- Traits are things that give others a key inside your brain.
- The Big Five include the following traits:
- Openness to experience
- Each of the traits is measured or assessed on a scale.
- Each person falls somewhere on the different scales and that makes up your personality.
- You can take a test on the Big Five Personality Traits for free here where you’ll be asked to answer questions based on your scale of agreeability.
- This test will give you insight into your personality and your traits.
Step #5 – Discuss Who You Are With Family, Friends, and Peers
- Discuss your findings with those that are closest to you – family, friends and peers.
- There are your own assessments of who you are and those are important, but it’s good to get an idea of who you are from others too.
- Ask people what their perceptions of you are.
- Ask them about what they think your values are, what your passions are and what your traits are.
- The outside perception might differ from your perceptions or they might align closely.
- Either way, you’ll have more information about the person you are and you’ll be better able to understand where you can make changes to go where you want to be in your professional and personal life.
Your key to winning with your personal brand is to figure out what makes you different, learning to embrace that uniqueness and using it to get people to pay attention and to choose you over everyone else.
Click here for further reading about personal branding
If you enjoyed this post and found TONS OF VALUE, please take a few moments and share…..Thank you 🙂
Sharing IS Caring!
To Your Success,
(P.S. If you would like to further your knowledge about personal branding click HERE )