Curating vs. Creating Content…..What you need to know
You don’t actually have to create every piece of content you use.
There is so much information out there that you can still provide value by wading through it and sharing the most beneficial nuggets of knowledge with your audience.
This is called curating content which allows you to display your expertise because you are highlighting information that is the most valuable, accurate and beneficial to your customers.
- The root of curating content involves taking pieces of media created by someone else and sharing it with your audience.
- This can be very beneficial when done properly.
- The main thing to make sure you do is give proper credit to the original creator of the content you’re sharing.
- If you don’t do that, you will be plagiarizing the content, not curating it.
- You can provide valuable information to your audience
- When you share well-curated content, it is still very beneficial to your audience.
- You are the expert and you know what information will have the most impact.
- You are also identifying the information that is most important.
- You have to be careful to verify the information you share
- Remember that whatever content you curate is a reflection of your brand once you share it.
- Even if you give proper credit to the original creator of the content (which should always happen); you still take responsibility for sharing the information.
- If one of your customers complains or finds fault in content that you’ve shared, you will have to answer for it.
- You have to be aware of this and make sure you are confident in the accuracy of the information you’re sharing.
- By sharing content created by someone else, you are effectively providing that person or organization with a platform.
- This can benefit you but it can also send your customers to another organization which could be a potential competitor.
- You have to choose the source of your content carefully to make sure it’s a brand you don’t mind promoting and isn’t a direct competitor.
**TIP…..If you’re going to incorporate curated content into your content marketing strategy, you must treat it as an extension of your brand just like you would content that you’ve created in house.
- When you want to share content, you may decide that you’d rather create it yourself.
- This is definitely a viable way to go but there are considerations that must be made before you move forward
- You have control
- When you create your own , you have creative control over what it looks like and how the information is conveyed.
- This ensures that the finished product is exactly what you want and a proper reflection of your brand.
- You are the source and it will best reflect your knowledge and insight
- When you create your own you know that it’s a true reflection of your own level of knowledge and experience.
- You can speak confidently about it when asked.
- You can also comfortably defend it if anyone has questions about it.
- You own the exclusive rights
- Any content you create is wholly owned by you and your company.
- You have the ability to repurpose it anyway you see fit.
- You don’t have to ask permission or make it a point to give credit to someone else.
- If a piece of content that you create goes viral, you can take full credit for it and reap all of the benefits.
- Creating content can be very time consuming
- When you want to create and share content as a reflection of your business, you should be prepared to put the time into doing it the best way possible
- This means you could end up taking a lot of time to make sure your content looks the way you want and communicates your message in the way that best supports your brand.
- You may be pressured to create content consistently
- Once you’ve created a piece of content, you may feel pressured to do it again.
- Some forms of content lend themselves very well to being one off creations that you can use consistently.
- Your piece of content may only reflect one aspect of your business
- Most businesses are multifaceted with different layers and insights that make up one brand.
- Effective content should be singularly focused which means you have to choose one aspect of your brand to highlight with it.
- This means that your content may create the perception that your brand is one sided.
**TIP….When you are creating a content marketing campaign, it’s important to consider all of your options and that includes how you get your content.
- It’s ultimately up to you to decide what will work best.
- A mix of curated and created can be most beneficial.
- It allows you to benefit from both without worrying about the pressure that comes with properly maintaining either.
- You can decide the best mix of curated and created and how you will share it for maximum effectiveness
- You may want to start with more curated while you work up to having the time to create your own good, solid content.
Taking the time to research and read through the different type of content will not only provide you with information to share it will also show you the different types that already exists.
It could give you some inspiration for types of content you can make and the ability to see what works and what doesn’t.
If you enjoyed this post and found TONS OF VALUE, please take the time to share, thank you!
Sharing Is Caring!
To Your Success,