Engaging and Delighting First-Time Web Visitors
How do you welcome visitors to your website?
Internet travelers are weary, fed-up of reading long-winded copy and clicking around websites without finding what they need.
What can you do to make weary internet travelers feel welcome?
Here are some quick tips from Henneke on how you can help your first-time visitors feel welcome on your site/blog.
Create a welcoming home page
- What impression do you want to give web visitors?
- Your home page tells first-time visitors where they’ve arrived (e.g. a friendly place to learn more about copywriting and blogging)
- Your about page tells them why they should read your blog posts or buy your services (e.g. you’re fun and know your stuff).
- Have a simple headline that tells web visitors where they’ve arrived and what to expect.
- Consider showing a photo to humanize your business.
- Tell people you can be trusted by displaying logos of customers, a testimonial, or logos of publications you’ve been featured in.
- Be clear about what you expect first-time visitors to do next.
- Read a popular blog post?
- Sign-up to your blog updates?
- Download a report?
- Simplify your home page because showing a lot of options can confuse first-time visitors.
Make your about page more engaging
- Write what your readers want to read, not what you want to write.
- Show your personality.
- Include an email address, because not everyone like filling in forms.
- Link to active social media profiles only.
- Show a professional photo with a welcoming smile.
- Use a conversational tone.
- Sound like YOU.
Add extra guidance
- This is how you can help your first-time web visitors and point them in the right direction:
- Consider a New?
- Start here page to guide people around your website.
- Have content landing pages that show your best posts about a specific topic
- Hand-pick your most useful posts and list them as popular blog posts in your side bar.
Your Bottom Line:
Keep your website simple, reduce options, and think about the small touches that can delight first-time visitors.
If you enjoyed this post and found TONS OF VALUE, please take a moment and share…..Thank You!
Sharing Is Caring!