Writing Persuasive Copy…….What You Need To Know
You’ve read a few books on copywriting, and many many blog posts, but when you sit down to write your own copy, you are unsure where to start.
In today’s post, I reveal the 23 copywriting essential rules every business owner must know by Henneke
These 23 rules help you understand what to write and how to write, so your copy becomes more persuasive and you can sell more.
1.Good copy starts with knowing who your audience is.
- If you don’t know who you’re writing for, you can’t sneak into people’s minds and address their needs, fears, desires, and secret wishes.
2. Good copy is stolen rather than made up.
- Don’t swipe copy from your competitors-use it by adding your “own” spin on it
- Instead, steal copy by listening to clients and prospects.
3. Avoid jargon and complicated words
- Use the same language your buyers use to connect with them.
4. Apply a solid process of research, planning, writing, and editing.
- Good copy is carefully crafted, step by step.
5. Start at the end.
- You can’t write compelling copy if you don’t know the goal of your content.
- Each paragraph and each sentence should contribute to achieving that goal
6. Have a genuine interest in helping people.
- Solving real problems is more important than understanding persuasion tricks.
- Even the highest-paid copywriter can’t write good copy for a product nobody wants.
7. Translate each product or service feature into a benefit
- By asking yourself So what? Why would your reader care about this?
8. Apply the inverted pyramid.
- Put the most important information first.
9. Write for scanners and readers.
- Scanners want to grasp your main story by skimming your headlines, subheads, and bullet points.
- Readers want to know the finer details.
10. Persuade with emotion. Back up with facts.
- Appeal to people’s emotions to seduce them to buy, and help them justify their purchase with logic and facts.
11. Engage readers with stories
- Because they’re more riveting than sales pitches.
12. Avoid bragging about yourself
- Boost your trustworthiness with testimonials and story-based case studies.
13. Take away reader’s objections to buying from you.
- What’s stopping them from taking the next step?
14. Boost your credibility with social proof.
- Let people know who else has hired you or how many projects you’ve completed.
- Create a sense of popularity by mentioning your waiting list.
15. Appeal to people’s fear of loss.
- What are people missing by not buying from you?
16. Overcome buyer’s procrastination by nudging them to take a decision.
- Apply the power of scarcity: offer a time-limited promotion, create a limited edition, or have limited availability. Or add a countdown timer to create a sense of urgency.
17. Embrace the power of free.
- Free shipment or a free bonus can have a higher perceived value than a discount.
18. Reduce your buyer’s risk with a guarantee.
- Because it can give people the confidence to buy.
19. Be bossy.
- Add power to your words and make your call-to-action impeccably clear, so people will press that Buy button, or contact you for a quote.
20. Scrap wordiness, avoid clichés, and cut weak phrases.
- Make sure each sentence and each word contributes to reaching your copy’s goal.
- Lazy editing slows your readers down, and that increases the risk they might not even reach your call to action.
21. Paint vivid pictures.
- Let readers imagine what it’s like to work with you, because it increases their desire to hire you.
- Make sure your copy is specific and precise.
22. Avoid superlatives
- For example: fastest, simplest, or safest unless you can prove you’re the best.
23. Read your copy aloud and listen to its rhythm.
- Your readers will notice whether your sentences plod and stumble, or whether your copy skips and whistles.
Only you know who your favorite client is. Only you understand what you’d love to offer them. You don’t have to employ sleazy sales techniques, or trick your readers into buying.
Simply explain which problem you solve. Make a clear offer. And nudge readers to take action.
If you enjoyed this post and found TONS OF VALUE, please take a moment and share….Thank you 🙂
Sharing Is Caring!
To Your Success,