10 Practical Tips To Expand Your Professional Network
Learn how to manage and boost your professional network with the following 10 tips by Katherine G. Eion a freelance writer/Lifehack.com …..
- People have to know WHO you are in order to recommend you and your available products and services.
- The key here is to stay visible, without becoming a nuisance.
2. Build Relationships
- It is essential to get to know the people in your professional network.
- Be willing to be a professional reference.
3. Use LinkedIn
- This is a no brainer.
- LinkedIn is free to join, and there are hundreds of groups available to boost your professional networking.
- Get to know people.
- When you and they are comfortable enough, exchange recommendations.
- This network builds your credibility in a number of ways and is well worth the time and effort.
4. Join Professional Organizations
- A professional organization is one of the easiest ways to stay and get connected professionally.
- Get to know colleagues in your profession.
- These are the best people to keep you informed on what is changing in your profession and how to adapt.
5. Go Beyond Your Industry
- Cultivate professional networks outside of your industry.
- This is a great way to boost your network and meet new people.
- Networking with those outside of your industry can give you a fresh perspective on your professional development.
6. Find Connections
- Seek out people who have been in your industry for longer than you have.
- Consider their advice and learn from their experience.
- It absolutely matters who you know.
- Surround yourself with people who support your career as you support them in theirs.
- Building relationships is integral to maintaining and boosting your professional network.
- Be personable and share your experiences with the people in your professional network.
- Be the person that others first think of for a solution, a bit of advice, or a warm welcome.
8. Host An Event
- The event you choose to host need not be large or elaborate.
- You may want to consider hosting a series of two or three smaller events, so as to include everyone.
- Everyone will be relaxed and have the opportunity to get to know you.
- Giving to others is a fantastic way to stay visible while building your professional network.
- The effort need not be elaborate or time-consuming.
- Consider an hour a week or a month to give back to the very community in which you are building your career and your reputation.
- Always stay connected to your professional network through staying in touch.
- Strengthen attachments thorough listening to others in your network.
- Don’t ask for a series of favors, rather ask how you can be of help to the other person.
- In this way relationships are indelibly strengthened and maintained.
Networking is a crucial skill for any entrepreneur.
The key to creating a network you can rely on is building a useful network — making connections for specific reasons and finding people that will help you and you can help in return.
Building a network is just as much about helping out the people you connect with as it is finding solutions for your own problems.