Why Is Having A Mentor SO Important?
No matter how smart you are, or how brilliant or disruptive your business concept might be, every entrepreneur needs a good mentor.
“Someone, somewhere, has already been through what you are experiencing right now, and he has come out the other side armed with invaluable insights”……says Richard Branson
How do you find the right mentor?
Here are a 4 tips from Richard Branson to help you find the mentor that is just right for you
Tip #1. Talk to people
- Listen to their stories
- Pursue further meetings with those whom you can learn from.
Tip #2. Online.
- Look for sector– or industry-specific events and groups on Facebook
- Subscribe to useful newsletters
- Follow interesting or relevant individuals on Twitter or LinkedIn; then get in touch and ask questions
Tip #3. Choose someone who has experience and connections within your area and level of business.
- Focus on finding someone who has started a venture that’s similar to yours, and who understands the trials and tribulations of building a business in that area.
- Keep in mind that an adviser who offers his time in return for compensation is not the same thing as a mentor.
- While advisers and consultants can be very helpful, true mentors are effective partly because they are only interested in helping others succeed.
Tip #4. Don’t yet have someone in mind yet?
- Make a list of successful people in your community.
- Is there someone on that list whom you admire and respect?
- When you do decide to approach someone, make sure that you don’t go in blind – know what you want to ask.
- Explain what excites you about your service or product, be honest about your fears, and ask for feedback.
When you do locate a good mentor, he/she will serve as an example, a sounding board and, ultimately, a friend.
Done well, mentorship is rewarding for both of you.
It’s important to nurture the relationship, so find fun ways to meet regularly, even without a business agenda.
If you are in a position to share the skills you have learned, you should give back by becoming a mentor yourself.
Finding success is hard work, and entrepreneurs could use a little help along the way.
Zig Ziglar once said: “A lot of people have gone further than they thought they could because someone else thought they could.”
So, what are are waiting for……..get out there and find the right mentor to help you along the path to success.
If you enjoyed this post and found TONS OF VALUE, please take a moment and share….Thank You!
Sharing Is Caring!
To Your Success,