A Proven Blueprint For Creating Content That’s Ten Times Better Than YOUR Competition
It’s the holy grail of the blogosphere — highly sought after but rarely achieved.
We’re talking about “EPIC” content.
Creating it, though, feels like an impossible mission for many bloggers.
“In reality, you don’t need epic skills to create truly remarkable content, just a reliable process. One you can follow time and time again to create posts that cut through the noise and rescue your readers from pain and frustration”……says Sonia Thompson (a content marketing strategist )
Here’s the 10-step proven blueprint for creating content that’s ten times better than the competition.
Step 1 – Identify The Pain Points
- The starting point for any epic post is your ideal reader.
- Your post should target those painful or frustrating issues she is itching to solve.
- To uncover your reader’s most acute pain points:
- Read blog comments
- Explore forums and Q & A sites
- Check Amazon book reviews
- Review emails from readers
- Run subscriber surveys
- Conduct interviews
Step 2 – Choose A Tempting Topic
- Focus your efforts and narrow your scope by tackling just one aspect of one problem where you can offer immediate relief.
- To narrow down your topic you can:
- Focus on just one step of a larger process, just one case scenario and one specific outcome
- Confirm reader interest in our topic by using the following:
- Keyword research tools (Google Keyword Planner or Moz Keyword Explorer) – to check search volume (aim for at least 1K searches per month for relevant keywords)
- Social research tools like Buzzsumo – to confirm that posts on similar topics are popular on social media (aim for a few hundred shares on across the major platforms like Facebook or Twitter)
- Google search – to check that posts on similar topics already exist
Step 3 – Evaluate The Current Competiton
- Just remember that your post won’t be the first to cover this topic.
- Research existing content that tackles the same problem, looking for weaknesses and opportunities.
- To find popular posts on the same topic:
- Type relevant keywords into Google search
- Use Buzzsumo to search for posts that are popular on social media
- Search competitor blogs for posts on the same topic
Step 4 – Determine Your Deliberate Difference
- Differentiate your post by choosing an approach or angle that deliberately exploits the weaknesses of competing posts.
- To differentiate your post from the competition, go “all out” on:
- Design-Use colors, images, and diagrams to create a visually stunning post
- Data-Incorporate the real-world data that competitor’s posts lack
- Drama-Use storytelling and emotion to take the reader on a wild ride
- Depth–“Zoom-in” to explore your topic in more detail than anyone else
Step 5 – Brainstorm Your Irresistible Headline
- The primary job of your headline is to tempt your audience to click-thru and read your content
- Use “power words” to amplify the emotional impact
- Brainstorm at least 10 headlines for your post before making a final decision
- Consider testing a selection of headlines with your audience via social media
- Take the time to craft a headline that makes readers desperate to learn more
- To craft a headline that gets clicked, use the 4 U’s method to convince readers your post is:
Step 6 – Conduct Your Essential Research
- Your epic post is only as valuable as the information it provides.
- Bolster the knowledge and experience you already have by gathering supporting information through careful research.
- To fortify your content:
- Read your competitor’s most popular posts and note their best points.
- Deepen your knowledge by reading popular books on your topic.
- Interview experts to gather additional tips and advice
- Find relevant quotes to illuminate your topic and inspire readers
- Collect and analyze real-world data or provide case studies
- Find or devise examples to explain difficult concepts
Step 7 – Plan Your Main Points
- The way you organize your content is as important as the content itself.
- Create an outline to bring structure to your ideas and give you a handy blueprint for writing your epic post.
- To structure your content effectively be sure to consider:
- Promise-Does my content deliver on the “promise” of the headline?
- Flow-Is the information presented in a natural and logical sequence?
- Objections-Have I addressed questions or stumbling blocks my audience may have?
- Completeness-Have I provided enough information for my readers to take action?
Step 8 – Craft Your Epic Content
- Laying the groundwork for your post is important, but the execution is crucial.
- Use an outline and a few guiding questions to create a draft that truly deserves the label “EPIC”
- To write your killer draft, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I have a strong, empathetic opening that taps into reader’s pain points?
- Do I acknowledge my reader’s dreams , desires, fears, and frustrations throughout my post?
- Have I engineered irresistible subheads to keep people reading instead of just scanning?
- Have I incorporated the language my audience uses to help them connect with the content?
- Have I used short paragraphs and rich formatting (bullet points) to improve readability?
- Do I have a powerful closing that inspires my readers to take an immediate next step?
Step 9 – Polish Before You Publish
- No epic post is ready to publish with just one draft.
- To get your first draft into shape , use several review/edit iterations to catch any errors and improve its clarity and flow.
- To make your draft shine:
- Let your post rest for at least 24 hours before reviewing and editing
- Read your post aloud to check the flow and catch any clumsy wording
- Get rid of filter words and lazy phrases that rob your writing of its power
- Replace jargon with descriptive words that paint a clear picture
Step 10 – Promote Your Published Post
- Content so good it promotes itself is a myth.
- Even truly epic content needs a push to get the ball rolling .
- Use smart promotion to give your post the reach and attention it deserves.
- To spread the word about your epic content:
- Email your subscribers to build the excitement
- Share your post on social media, using relevant hashtags
- Notify the people you mentioned or featured within the post
- Reach out to influencers and ask them to share it
- Repurpose your post for other popular platforms like Medium and Slideshare
Despite what you may think, you don’t need to be an elite writer to create an epic post. You just need to follow the right process.
By understanding the above 10 step blueprint and making it your guide, you can now go out and create content that transforms your readers and catapults you toward your goals as a blogger.
Click here to grab Sonia’s free list of 40 resources that show you in depth how to implement the above 10 step blueprint
If you enjoyed this post and found TONS OF VALUE, please take a moment and share….Thank you 🙂
Sharing IS Sharing!
To Your Success,