Building An Email List….What You Need To Know If You Are Just Starting Out Online
With no subscribers, it really doesn’t matter HOW good your content, copywriting or offers are, if there is no one to read it…………
So, once you decide that you want to start marketing via email you quickly realize that to do it properly, you need to spend some money on a decent email service, and you need to select the right one.
I highly recommend Aweber. You can set up your account here. Once you set up your account, all you need to do is add a new list, fill in all the details like list name, etc, then grab your sign up form HTML code to paste into your site. But, as so many people who have tried this process will tell you, just having a sign up form is not enough.
The number one reason why people do not subscribe to a working and open email list is because you don’t tell them why they should.
“Never assume that the reader will find the benefits of your list self-evident. They won’t, and often will be deeply suspicious of it”……says Chris Garrett
In fact, says Chris, you first need to tell them that they can:
- Tell people about your list – Don’t just say “Subscribe Here”, describe what they should expect
- Give reasons to subscribe – What are the benefits?
- Inform them that it is free and safe – You know you are not a spammer, you know there is no charge … do they?
- Make it easy – Don’t make your sign up form like filling out your taxes
- Make it obvious – Are you hiding your sign up form away? Make it stand out and refer to it in numerous locations
If you make it obvious, beneficial and easy you will get more sign ups, so at the least, reference your sign up form in your side bar, in a subscription page, under your posts, and perhaps occasionally within a post.
Here are a few “DO’s” and “DON’T’s” you need to keep in mind for a successful email marketing campaign:
- DO only import lists you have grown yourself over time using double opt-in
- DO add only people to your list who have expressly given permission to do that
- DON’T purchase lists
- DON’T ever take part in any scheme that charges you per email address or “opt-in”
The best thing you can do to get people on to your list………
- Add incentives, like a free ebook, audio recording, video, auto-responder series.
- Provide something of real value.
- Offer discounts, coupons, special deals, exclusive offers, premium content.
Make your list so compelling the readers mouth waters at the thought of it.
Yes, even free needs to be sold. Your subscriber pays with their email address, they pay by giving you permission to talk to them, by giving up their attention.
Make it worth their while.
Make it obviously worth their while.
If you enjoyed this post and found TONS OF VALUE, please take a moment to share…Thank You 🙂
Sharing Is Caring!
To Your Success,