Do You Know How To Create Epic Content?
The key to getting tons of attention, a boatload of subscribers, and a massive audience of raving fans is to write epic content….content that rocks your readers’ worlds.
While everybody tells you how great your content must be, almost nobody tells you how to do it. The “how” of epic content stays a secret known only to a few popular bloggers. And they’re keeping it to themselves. Until now where in this post, I share Sonia Thompson’s “Demystifying Epic Content” post, where she shares how to actually create it. (As an addition to this post, you can download her handy Epic Content Checklist, so you can rock your readers’ world with your content.)
At its core, what makes content epic is the impact it has on the reader as detailed in these 2 examples:
1. Demian Farnworth, Chief Copywriter at Copyblogger, describes the impact this way:
The content takes you over… The advice inflames you to try more and try harder. The story puts you in a spell.
2. Glen Long says of epic posts:
They change the reader… It might not be a big change. Or even a permanent change. (Although truly great posts achieve both types.) But the simple act of reading the post changes the reader in some meaningful way.
Epic Content Breeds Loyalty……..Epic Content Builds Authority
Content that scores big with readers tends to exhibit certain characteristics. So if you want a shot at epicness, you’d be wise to understand these 5 qualities that will set your content apart from the rest.
1. It’s Crazy, Stupid Useful
- Ever printed a post so you could refer to it again and again?
- Most online content is disposable, so anything that demands repeat reading stands out.
- Likewise for content that leads readers to achieve a specific desirable result that had been eluding them. Or shows them how to accelerate their progress toward a goal.
- Epic content often feels invaluable.
- Readers should wonder what on earth they would have done if they hadn’t found it.
- Epically useful content is extremely action-oriented.
- It translates knowledge into steps readers can use to improve immediately.
- It makes the required action so clear that ignoring it is the tougher option.
- Readers would have to be crazy not to implement the advice
2. It’s Mindblowingly Detailed
- Epic content is often rich with authentic detail.
- Details provide context.
- They paint a vivid picture.
- They draw you in and get you invested in the writer’s point of view.
- Details add weight to your arguments and make your content feel authoritative, even definitive.
- When readers are hungry to solve a problem, they want content that’s so detailed, it gives them a seven-course meal. Instead of the usual light appetizer.
3. It’s a “Purple Cow”
- Bloggers now have so much competition in the fight for readers’ attention that even highly useful, detail-rich content may not be enough to break through.
- The posts that get noticed are those that stand out like a pair of red patent-leather pumps in a room full of black loafers.
- In his best-selling book, Purple Cow, Seth Godin explains why:
- “Something remarkable is worth talking about. Worth noticing. Exceptional. New. Interesting. It’s a Purple Cow. Boring stuff is invisible. It’s a brown cow.”
- Remarkable content solves your audiences’ problems in a unique way.
- It takes fresh points of view.
- It presents common ideas in an uncommon way.
- It breaks the pattern readers have come to expect.
4) It’s Dripping with Emotion
- Can you remember the last post that made you cry? Or made you mad? Or literally laugh out loud?
- Moving readers beyond indifference to make them feel something is tough.
- But content that taps into readers’ emotions creates a connection and inspires them to take action.
- Emotion consumes readers, making them forget their present circumstances.
- It can allow the writer to step into the reader’s world, or invite the reader to step into theirs.
- Of all the characteristics of epic content, emotion is the one that makes your content post unforgettable.
5. It’s Visually Stunning
- Visually beautiful content speaks to us in a universal language.
- Videos, photos, diagrams, infographics – they all communicate in a way words alone can’t.
- And they are better at getting and holding our attention too.
- A Skyward study showed total views for articles with relevant images increased by 94% vs. those without.
- Attractive visuals are not just better at engaging; they’re better at explaining too, making it easier for readers to grasp tricky subjects.
So, the next time you sit down to create use one or more of the 5 following tactics they will definately smooth the journey from empty page to epic post:
1. Research The Crap Out of Your Topic
- Many bloggers feel they don’t have enough knowledge or experience to create epic content, but thorough research is the cure
- Epic content writers are willing to research their topic to saturation point.
- They research the core of the topic and explore the periphery too. And remember, anybody can conduct research, from a newbie blogger to a seasoned vet.
- You just have to be willing to do the work.
- Most people aren’t willing, so that’s your chance to seize an advantage.
2. Become a Play-by-Play Reporter
- When people read “how to” content, one question at the forefront of their minds is “Will this really work?”
- That’s why evidence taken from the real world is so persuasive.
- Drawing lessons from your own experiences or those of your clients or other contacts can result in a compelling case study, or a tutorial backed by real data.
- Content grounded in the real world also gives readers confidence that if they apply the same lessons, they’ll get the same results.
- Document, document, document
- When creating an in-depth tutorial based on your own experiences, thoroughly document every step. And beware the curse of knowledge – the person following your instructions will probably know less than you.
3. Break the Rules
- To create truly remarkable content, bloggers must present their readers with ideas and solutions markedly different from those they will have encountered before.
- Unique experiences and worldviews can connect existing ideas in new, fresh, and interesting ways for your audience.
- This method is ideal for more free-spirited bloggers – those who already see and experience the world a little (well, maybe a lot) differently than others.
- But more conventional types can use their knowledge of what’s expected to deliberately challenge existing assumptions and boundaries to break new ground.
- Why unconventional views lead to epic content
- It gives you a different lens through which to see familiar problems.
- That alternative frame of reference may reveal new approaches that yield stellar results.
- Readers are drawn to rebels and rule-breakers because they shake things up.
- They disrupt the status quo and question accepted ways of thinking.
4. Become a Mind Reader
- How wonderful does it feel to find someone who truly understands you?
- Epic content demonstrates a deeper knowledge of the reader than they thought possible.
- This type of content speaks to readers’ deepest thoughts.
- It shows them how to overcome concerns they’ve yet to voice.
- It gives them the answers before they’ve fully articulated the question.
- So anyone who strives to create epic content must resolve to be a mind reader.
- The more you’re able to tap into your audiences’ thoughts, the easier it will be to use emotion to sweep them into action.
- Why empathy leads to epic content
- Famed copywriter Robert Collier advised:
- “Always enter the conversation already occurring inside the customer’s mind”.
- Content that begins by picking up the conversation already happening in the reader’s head has a magical quality that nudges that content toward epic status.
- When you seem to know your readers’ fears, struggles, dreams, what keeps them up at night, and what excites them, you can connect on a deeper level that makes your content truly memorable.
5. Get Naked in Public
- People can spot authenticity a mile off.
- People with their sights set on epic don’t try to fit in with cookie-cutter, one-size-fits-all approaches.
- They are fearless and create content with the only set of rules they find worthy of following: their own.
- This approach is ideal for badass bloggers and those with big personalities.
- Anyone with an insatiable desire to leave their mark, their way.
- Why fearless authenticity helps you create epic content
- It’s a cliché, but a useful one: you’re the best in the world at being you.
- Only by accentuating those qualities that are yours alone can you consistently stand apart from the crowd.
- Authenticity also gives you the freedom to take risks because authenticity doesn’t demand success, just that you remain true to yourself.
- When you’re doing something that’s radically different from the norm, you’ll have people who won’t like it.
- Ignore them.
- You’re not creating for them.
- You’re creating for your audience.
- The people you’ve gotten to know intimately.
- The people who get, appreciate, and will be most affected by what you create.
You don’t have to save a life to make a difference. You could save someone from a career they hate. Or from their inner critic. You could even save them from a boring afternoon. But only if your words get read.
The only reliable way to get seen is to create something truly epic. And now you know how. You just need commitment, followed by action. It’s time to take a stand against mediocrity. Because your audience deserves your best.
If you enjoyed this post and found TONS OF VALUE, please take a moment and share…..Thank you 🙂
Sharing Is Caring!
To Your Success,